Cycling is your hobby and you like challenges? Then the experience Cycling in the Peneda-Gerês National Park is totally for you! The route of the tour sets off in Spain, going through mostly in Portugal then ending back in Spain. We cycle through Peneda-Gerês National Park, where the second-highest mountain of Portugal is situated*.
During our journey we can get an insight into the life of isolated Portuguese villages and also into the beauty of untouched nature with a high chance of spotting free range cows, native wild horses called Garrano or even Iberian wolves. From the top of the mountains you can enjoy the breath-taking view to Gerês Mountains and Valleys and River Lima.
After completing the tour we give our fatigued muscles a chance to regenerate and relax a bit in a natural thermal spring on the bank of River Caldo. We recommend this ‘slope-full’ tour to those in love with mountains and who have experience in riding race bikes on mountain roads and paths.
Manily on the weekends, can be Saturday and/or Sunday. Please let us know until the middle of the that week if you would like to book this tour. Can happen that is some occasions, we cannot organize the tour on weekends.
For especial request, we can organize this tour during the week as well!
Group price (2-8 person) 139 € /Pers.
Single participant price 199 €
Bicycle rental fee 35 € (optional)
What can I do if the tour is sold out?
Let us know if you have an alternative date in your mind for the tour, and we do our best to make it happen for you. Are you willing to do the tour with your friends? We can organize the tour for groups on requested dates as well!
Do you have some doubts or/and need more info? Call us (+351 938 076 430) or write to us to the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail adress. Under the Contact menu you can find alternative contact information too!
The price includes
- Transport from Porto to Caldas de Lóbios (Spain) by car/bus1
- Transport from Caldas de Lóbios (Spain) back to Porto by car/bus1
- Tour guide
- Liability insurance and personal accident insurance
- Refreshment at the village Rouças (Water/soft drink + sandwich)
- Refreshment at the village Castro Laboreiro (Coffee + cake + water/soft drink)
- Bath in Lobios by the termal spring + 1 beer/soft drink for recovery
- 2 energy bars + 1 energy drink / person during the bicycle tour
- Technical support
The price excludes
- Rental fee of the bicycle (opcional)
- Travelling to Portugal and/or any other travelling costs excluding the above mentioned
- Other meals and drinks besides mentioned above
- Entry fees for tourist attractions
- Bicycle gear, helmet, spare parts (excluding innertube, brake and gear cables)2
- Other additional or optional expenses
The route of the tour is 99% asphalt and we use race bicycle. If you have your own bike, you can bring it with you. In case you need one, we can rent a Specialized Tarmac Pro or Trek Madone/Domane 5 (or similar) race bike to you for the price of 35€.
These bikes typically are equipped with Shimano Ultegra/105 groupsets, they have carbon fiber frame and fork and weigh in between 8,5-9kg. You can read about the rental rules in our Terms and Conditions.
This tour is recommended to
We recommend this tour to those who have at least 0,5-1 year of cycling experience! To those who can handle race bikes properly, who have higher stamina than average and do sports regularly. The level changes of the tour are quite extreme so we recommend this tour to the ones in love with mountains.
- 4/5 Hard
- Distance: 87km
- Positive elevation: 1700+ m
Day trip overview
We pick you up at a prearranged time and place, then after loading the bikes and equipment into the car / van we set off to Caldas de Lóbios (Spain). This journey takes about 1,5-2 hours. We unload in Caldas de Lóbios and prepare the bikes and our equipment for the tour then we set off towards the Portuguese border.
Our first stop is the hydroelectric station in Lindoso which we pass across and completing the first really steep slope we stop in the village of Roucas (35 km) for some refreshment and sandwiches. After the break we set off to Nossa Senhora da Peneda Sanctuary (42 km). Here we get a chance to visit the church and have some more refreshment in case it is needed (it is an optional stop).
The next stop is the village of Castro Laboreiro (60 km), which is the highest point of our tour (1012 m). Here we take a short break in the local pastry shop. We pedal back to Spain on the rest of tour, then in the village of Caldas de Lóbios (87 km) we load in to the car / van. Here we give our fatigued muscles a chance to regenerate and relax a bit in a natural thermal spring. The time spent here is absolutely up to us, we can stay as long as we can enjoy it. After bathing we travel back to Porto. Late arrival to Porto can be expected on this tour.
- It is possible to change the pick-up point beyond the Porto vicinity. For this service, an extra cost is added to the price of the tour determined by the distance from Porto and it is always discussed with the client first.
- Safety first! Using a proper bicycle helmet is mandatory on our every bicycle tours, as well as compliance and responsible behavior according to the Highway Code in Portugal and Spain. If you do not have a helmet, please let us know when you subscribe for the tour, we lend you one!
*Madeira and Azores Islands excluded
Fill out the fields below for booking. We will contact after you sent the booking form!